Guidelines for Selection
All applications for PGY-1 positions in the program are accepted through ERAS. Applications in other formats are accepted only when it is not possible to submit an ERAS application.
The application deadline is December 1 of each year. A completed application includes a standard ERAS application, a medical school transcript, a medical student performance evaluation, USMLE or COMLEX scores, a personal statement and three letters of recommendation. Applicants selected for interview will be invited by e-mail. A photograph is required for identification purposes, but is reviewed only after an offer for interview is extended.
- Selection for interview is made based upon the following criteria:
- Academic Standing in Medical School
- USMLE or COMLEX scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Medical School Performance Evaluation
- Contents of Personal Statement
- Supervised clinical experience in the United States or Canada
- Professional Demeanor demonstrated in Interview
- Communications Skills demonstrated in Interview
- Motivation for entering surgical training expressed in Interview
- Interpersonal Skills demonstrated in interview.
Candidates must meet UAMS institutional requirements for appointment as a resident physician. There are no additional requirements imposed by the Surgery Residency Program.
Candidates are informed of terms and conditions of appointment by reference to the relevant portions of the UAMS GME Policy on Recruitment and Appointment.
All PGY-1 positions are offered in the NRMP match. PGY-1 positions unfilled in the NRMP match may be filled in the NRMP “scramble” or otherwise outside the match.
Selection for vacant upper level positions is based on the same criteria, adjusted as needed for the individual position vacancy.