Welcome to the Department of Surgery at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS). Founded in 1880, our Department holds itself to the highest standards of excellence in patient care, education and research. Every day, we strive to provide the highest quality surgical care for our patients and the very best educational programs for our residents, fellows, and students. Through our research, we work to shape the future of patient care.
Dr. John Cone, Professor of Surgery recently received the Norma and Nolie Mumey, M.D., Chair in Surgery for his contributions to UAMS and the Surgery Department. Dr. Mumey was a surgeon, pilot, historian, author, and humanitarian who graduated from the University of Arkansas in 1916.
Suzanne Klimberg, Professor of Surgery, has just published Atlas of Breast Surgical Techniques. This book is part of the Surgical Techniques Atlas Series published by Saunders Elsevier.
Congratulations to the eleven members of our faculty have been voted by their peers as Arkansas' Best Doctors for 2009. This list includes:
- Jim Yuen (plastic surgery & hand surgery),
- Sam Smith (pediatric surgery),
- Sid Dassinger (pediatric surgery),
- Aytekin Ozdemir (cardiothoracic surgery),
- Gareth Tobler (cardiothoracic surgery),
- Ralph Broadwater (colorectal surgery),
- Jonathan Laryea (colorectal surgery),
- Ron Robertson (general surgery),
- Richard Turnage (general surgery),
- John Eidt (vascular surgery), and
- Mohammed Moursi (vascular surgery).